A morning introducing printing as a way of recording and exploring the natural world of the copse. Continue reading
Second group embarking on the soil project (see previous post). I was interested to see some 3 d drawing of the soil sample. Continue reading
We started out by examining a large clod of soil under magnifying lenses and making detailed pencil drawings imagining we were soil scientists making an investigation. This activity proved to be quite captivating with many discoveries in the soil such as small insects and tiny shiny particles.
In this week’s art club we continued to work with the rain theme-it was still raining. The children looked at reflections in distorted reflective surfaces and tried to capture these by drawing around each other’s image. They decided that reflections were quite wobbly, broken up and not the same colour as the real thing.
We created layered drawings of water and reflections using translucent paper thinking about the strength of the mark making on each layer.
Back to art club today with some old faces and a couple of new ones. This term I wanted to once again work with subjects relevant to a rural school and also explore some ideas I’d been having while walking in the forest. Continue reading
Wetheringsett School invited us to work with the whole school as part of their eco week. They were keen to create a shared large piece of art to be exhibited in the school. Before the project we agreed that the theme would be about an imaginary plant that might grow from discarded plastic bottles as they start to decompose.
The children collected sacks of plastic bottles and more Christmas sweet wrappers than we’ve ever seen gathered together in one place before, there’s something very beautiful and tactile about them en masse.
After an assembly introducing the theme the children took part in three activities. We worked with them exploring ways to transform the plastic materials into component parts of a large plant installation for the library area. The children discovered some ways of transforming the plastic bottles that we hadn’t seen used before.
Alongside this we asked the teachers to set up a large scale shared drawing allowing the children to imagine plants that might grow from the plastics. In another activity they put themselves in the position of scientists classifying the newly discovered plant and determining it’s growing needs and habits linking back into growth as a curriculum topic.
Here are a few photos of the artwork assembled in the library;